A friend of mine asked me this question a while back. “How do I really trust God?” I appreciated her confidence in me, but I had to stop and think about that question. I’m not a dreamer or a romantic….. I am a REALIST by nature. By that, I mean that it doesn’t come natural to me to believe that there is a “master plan” for our lives. Although I was raised in church, fully trusting God as an adult, has not been easy for me.
I’m no expert, but here are a few things that I have learned along the way and shared with my friend that day…..
- TRUST is a daily thing and even sometimes… an hourly thing.
- You just have to pray “God help me believe. God help me to let go and trust you.”
- Read and memorize scriptures that reiterate trusting and believing in God.
- If you feel God speaking to you — even if it doesn’t make sense — OBEY!
- If you are always talking and visiting with people that are saying negative things and causing you to doubt, DROP THEM OFF OF YOUR BUS! They are not headed in the same direction that you are wanting to go!!!
Have you heard this saying…. “believe like it all depends on God but work like it all depends on you”? I try to do my part and that’s all I can do. I have to take solace in believing that the rest is up to God and His divine knowledge. You can drive yourself crazy if you don’t.
Just remember that people can say things, but unless they have really been in a situation where they had to truly let go and trust God, they don’t understand. Most people mean well, and some are just, well……mean. If they make it sound easy then they are probably being fake or have had an easy life. It is not easy!
When you have seen the hand of God at work in your life and the lives of those around you, it becomes easier to trust God. He is working…. open your eyes and objectively look at your life.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your path. ~Proverbs 3: 5,6
Trust in God = Peace in your heart!